17 January 2014

Birthday sesh 1/16/14 with a brief goodbye, bench sesh 1/17/14, metal, and David plays the metal game again

Soooooooooooooo... yesterday was my birthday.

The big 36. Officially closer to 40 than 30.

Whatevs.

I will be better at 40 than 30.

And 36 is part of that.

BOOM.

Anyhoo, good birthday overall. Went two days prior for birthday dinner, because sometimes schedules work like that when you're a baller. And your daughter has gymnastics.

And sometimes you need your poutine a few days early.

Yeah, B. Poutine in the house.




Courtesy of Kooky Canuck. While the Canuck (formerly Bigfoot Lodge) is more known for their gigantic burgers, my favorite thing there really is the poutine. The killer Canadian comb of fries, cheese curds, and brown gravy has become a birthday treat for the last several years.




Problem is, the stuff moves so damn fast. Even if neither my wife nor baby lady will touch it.

Oh well.

By the by, a few of us have decided that poutine is flipping awesome, but it would be pretty much perfect with chipped beef over it, maybe under the gravy.

So... uuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm... Canada...




So flash forward two days later and I wake up at the ripe old age of 36. Let's get it.

Attended the memorial for a friend's father, Randy Britton, a good man that suffered for too long. I am sure that wherever he is there is a 45 of a Delta guitar man or maybe some Mingus spinning and a chair pulled up in a warm kitchen.

Got to hang out with some friends, deliver a few hugs, and on to Muddy's for a cupcake, a bit of cake, and an oatmeal bar. Good stuff as always, and the folks there are always great.

My daughter stole most of my milk. Hmm.

Anyhoo, back to the house for some presents and bed.


New Merrell Moabs courtesy of the lady wife. My old ones served me well, these are a welcome treat.


New yellow glass eyelets, courtesy of my little daughter lady.

Not pictured, a bunch of lovely kitchen implements and some Snapple (tee em) peach tea for the Keurig from my lovely wife and a cargo bag for the Crosstrek courtesy of my folks. Also, a bunch of well wishes from friends and, thankfully, no spankings.

Go to sleep (ahem), wake up, go to work, get a filling (I know, lucky!), and it's on to the bench sesh.

Here's what occurred:

  • ME Bench - 3x2x155lbs
  • Lat pulldown - 5x6x130lbs
  • Unilateral incline dumbbell press (left only or left/right) - 10x20lbs, 10x25lbs, 10x30lbs, 5x7/15x40lbs, 10x30lbs
  • Band pull aparts - 4x10 w/ EliteFTS Intense Onyx band - definitely heavier than the red mini band


I even got Christian to get a video of my set up. As always... enjoy that belly.





Having talked about the foot position last bench sesh, it was funny to see that I really didn't get my feet as "pigeon toed" as I felt I was getting them BUT I could really feel the activation in my hips with turning the heels out. While my ass was not actually coming off the bench, Christian thinks getting my feet out a little more or kicking the heels out a little more would really ensure it, going to try that next bench sesh.

Metal.



Classic Crowbar. David doesn't play Crowbar at the gym.

So the session pretty much closed out with a game that we have played a bit lately at the gym. It usually starts with me slamming Nickelback or some other dudely band that does occasionally show up in the playlist at the jamesnasium (to be fair, he has a broad clientele), then continues with David trying to name non-death metal bands and seeing if I like them.

"Queen?"

"Of course."

"Old Metallica?"

"Dude. Yes."

"Saliva?"

"Fuck no!"

Good times as always on a Friday night at the NBS.




Oh, and death metal.

The title track from Obituary's The End Complete. One of the top... five?... metal albums of all time. Get some.



No comments: