31 March 2014

Training Sesh 3/30/14: revised "B", more sumo work, and a bit on blogging and honoring the fallen



Today was the first day of revised "B" session after throwing the "C" session in, and I have to say it felt like a decent bit of work. My hips are still feeling reasonably trashed from squatting the other day and, let's face it, bench days aren't exactly hip deloads.

Note to all you youngsters out there- don't ever get old.

Anyhoo, here's what occurred:
  • Deadlift in the sumo style - 5x135lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x275lbs, 5x315lbs, 8x1x335lbs
  • Front squat - 5xbar, 5x135lbs, 5x185lbs, 5x225lbs
  • Wide handle lat pulldown w/ two count holds- 3x10x100lbs
  • Wide stance good mornings - 3x10x110lbs
  • Band hip abductions - 3x15 w/ doubled over EliteFTS Intense Onyx band 
As said earlier, it was a decent training session overall. Lower sets of sumo were feeling pretty good and I worked on set up and technique for the sumo with every rep- every rep was executed and then completely set back up for the following rep, ie, stepped away from the bar for every rep. Got a little advice from broham Porter, which resulted in this last rep (and the five or so before it)-




This was how my last five or so reps were executed, main difference being the set up- note from previous sesh:




Note that the newest set up allows me to keep my back much flatter, especially in the upper back- mechanically, this equates to better force transference and less loss of drive throughout the lift and reduces likelihood of injury. 

While it's harder to see because of the various angles of video, I also brought my feet in a little on these sets. Not sure yest if this is helping or hurting, as the reps are still very slow, but they are coming up. Need to work on the external rotation and "spreading the floor" to help rip the bar off the floor. As you can see, speed off the floor is terrible, but once it gets close to lockout there is no problem.

Glutes, baby, glutes.

Rest of the sesh was as expected, to some extent. Shut the front squats down at 225 as my right hip was trying to kill my face- that 185 set felt like it was all left side drive while the right side was stabbing me in the hip flexor. The rest was just working through and reintroducing the band hip abductions. 

Also got a reminder to warm up and stretch a little better- I'm sure this would have helped the hip as well, but my left shoulder started acting up during the good mornings as well. The Mastodon bar was already in one of the power racks (don't ask) so I decided to do my good mornings with it, which apparently was a mistake- even wide gripping it made my fingers tingle a little. Got some band traction and stretching in after, and all was alleviated. 

So old man pains aside, I think it went pretty well. Work done, work to do.


As much as I love Clint Eastwood, pretty sure his deadlift is shit. Conventional or sumo.

Get off my lawn. 

In other fun happenstances, got several compliments on this here blog during my time in the jamesnasium. I always love getting feedback and compliments on it, but it does make me think of things from time to time- but that's par for course as I tend to think about things too much. I'm an analyzer and an observer by nature, that matched with my slight philosophical bent make for some interesting internal dialogue sometimes. It's also interesting when you put all that together with writing for public consumption AND my general cynical outlook on society. It is both reaffirming and perplexing when people compliment or comment on the blog (one of the guys at the gym say he felt like a character in the blog) as on the one hand I don't think I necessarily have anything truly earth shattering to offer- I'm no expert on lifting, life, love, libation, etc, for sure- but on the other hand, I need some way to keep track of all this stuff and I have to admit to a love for entertaining on some level whilst I pass down the gold leafed, jewel encrusted nuggets of wisdom I have gleaned from my training partners and coaches. I also harbor an aversion to large groups (herds) of people and I think social media- more accurately, humanity's use of it- is eroding our souls. 

Lo, shalt thou bear witness to mine internal division.

BUT

A little editorial and documentation never hurt anyone. 

That's probably not true. I would be willing to bet people's careers and fortunes have been ruined over editorial and and documentation.

BUT

at the same time, I would be willing to bet that scads of folks' lives have been enriched by editorial and documentation. Heckfar, I would say that a little editorial and documentation have inspired some folks to greatness. 

Changed world views.

Saved lives. 

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm just a dude with a computer occasionally trying to make myself and my little corner of the world a little better, and then tell you about it. If you smile, cry, or fart, that's on you.

Like a wise man once said...




Don't you put that evil on me, general public!

God (Odin, Krishna, Steve, etc) bless Michael Clarke Duncan.

And while we're at it- and excuse me, sensitive atheist, for invoking again- bless our fallen soldiers. Like this man:




Army Chief Warrant Officer 3 Daniel W. Clark. No, I didn't know the man. To my knowledge we never met. I found his name here: Honor The Fallen. CWO Clark was killed, along with CWO Christian Humphreys, when their helicopter went down 15 November 2008 in Mosul, Iraq.

From his page at the link:

CW3 Mike Eckhart’s hand trembled when he presented the flag to Jamie Clark. Eckhart was Clark’s wingman.

“He was absolutely fearless in support of his brothers in combat,” said Eckhart, who delivered the eulogy and told stories of a gregarious, talented, driven soldier who felt truly free in the sky and in the Alaskan wilderness.

His fellow soldiers called him “Genghis Don.” Eckhart referred to Clark as a real man and a world class soldier. He said Clark referred to himself as the “self-proclaimed emperor of Newton.”

Rev. David Willis read a letter Jamie Clark wrote for the service in which she said, “Don and I were the sweetest love story ever told. He was my hero. The sorrow I feel is immeasurable. Don loved his family, his friends, his comrades and his country.”

Read up on him and others at the link.

Then

Go forth and destroy.

No comments: