02 March 2014

Training sesh 3/1/14: In which we front squat better and deadlift like an asshole



Kind of a mixed sesh this morning. Started off with some loaded ass oatmeal and some Starbucks, which was reasonably awesome but there were

repercussions

during squatting and deadlifting. ya know. Toots.

But I digress.

As you may have surmised, I haven't been into the jamesnasium in the better part of a week. I was curious to see how well this one would go. BUT fueled by a healthy (debatable) dose of caffeine, sugar, protein, and fats, didn't seem to miss a step too badly on this one.

Here's what occurred:
  • Front squat - 5xbar, 5x135lbs, 5x185lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x265lbs
  • Deathlift - 5x135lbs, 5x185lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x275lbs, 5x315lbs, 5x365lbs
  • OHP, more like push press at last sets - 5xbar, 5x95lbs, 5x115lbs, 5x135lbs, 2x3x135lbs
  • Lat pulldown, paused wide handle - 3x10x100lbs
  • Reverse hyper - 3x10x105lbsa
The front squats went pretty well, really. Still managed to get 20lbs on my front squat despite the week off. Still need to get stronger, obviously, but I was pleasantly surprised at this one. I think they even looked better. Only one of these was above parallel at all. Still need to work on getting the elbows up, but as the back gets stronger, the elbows will come up.




The bitch about it, though, was the deadlift. My deadlift is broken. Some of it is the lack of deadlifting for a long time, some of it is being weak, some of it is being too fat to get down to the bar the right way. Seems like to get down and get my back arched into it I either have to drop my ass down too low or I'm floating the bar out front, ie, not contacting the shins by SEVERAL inches. Got some pointers from Christian and Austin, but nothing was feeling "right".

I know I've mentioned it before, but not training consistently for a long period of time sucks.

It sucks bad.

I actually used to consider myself a fairly decent deadlifter, but apparently I have lost my mojo. The deathlift gods are frowning upon me.




I don't have any deadlift video from yesterday, but here's the video from my last good deadlift. Le sigh. The team video from my first meet in Blytheville , April of last year. My deadlift at 4:29, think it was 465. For some reason I can't do that anymore.




I need to get some video and get this ish figured out. It's annoying as hell. I know I'm not planning on doing a meet for a little while, but this is ridiculous.

Also, the 5x365 was more like five singles at 365. Gotta get it. This may be one of those things where I don't worry too much about adding weight in until I get my technique in check. Also thought about

gasp (and I'm sorry, Doyle)

trying sumo. Traditionally, I have been a crappy sumo deadlifter, but since everything sucks right now it might be a good time to give it a shot.

Of course, I might be overthinking it.

This was from a month or so ago, I think.




Not awful. Granted, light weight, but looks better. Need to work on flattening the back more. Maybe I just need to deathlift without a belt for a while.

Overthinking.

Stop it.

OHP has become push press, but some of that is to be expected with the injury/weakness. I need to get more shoulder/tricep work in, along with working in some more band good mornings, etc, on off days.

In other news, it's raining and the weather person is predicting an inch of ice and sub-freezing temps for the next day or two. Of course, it's Memphis so all the groceries are nuts with people panic buying and there probably won't be any snow.

There will, however, be roast beef and root vegetables. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh...




annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Meshuggah...

This song is flipping lovely.




Go forth and destroy.

No comments: