23 February 2014

Training Sesh 2/22/14: In which we improve and discuss technique...



Decent little training day after not having been in the jamesnasium for a few days- missed a session due to... yes... work... but I think this may have been in order. The demands of the office still stand, as they always do, but I can still make it to the gym. And that is lovely.

As has been something of the norm lately, I was actually pumped to get into this sesh multiple days ahead of time- if fitting schedule, the sesh would have been on Thursday, but this one was pushed to Saturday- as I knew this was going to be the one to break 315 on the 5x squat. While I have been stronger than what that would portend before injury, neglect, etc, I don't think I have actually ever loaded that weight for that many reps before.

We would refer to that as "cardio".




Here is what occurred:

  • Squat (w/Elite Mastodon bar)- 2x3xbar, 5x110lbs, 5x150lbs, 5x200lbs, 5x240lbs, 5x290lbs, 5x320lbs
  • Bench - 5xbar, 5x95lbs, 5x135lbs, 5x155lbs, 5x170lbs
  • Wide stance barbell good mornings - 5x95lbs
  • TBar row w/holds - 4x7x45lbs
  • Standing cable crunch - 3x15x120lbs

Dig that. I thought the the bar was 65lbs going into the sesh and had planned on using it instead of the Texas squat bar, but asked Christian to verify my loading beforehand (programming is important, ya know?), and he thought it was 60lbs.

Crap.

Discrepancy. We don't like discrepancy, my precious.

To dispel the demons of doubt, I grabbed the not so trusty Nokia Lumia 925 (don't get me started) looked it up on Elite's site and it was indeed 60lbs. Come on, man. 60? Determined to not use 2.5lb plates to make my plate weight and not go short of the goal weight of 315lbs, went ahead and loaded to 320lbs.  Five pounds more than I had prescribed.

Awesome.

It was fun, too, because I got the lifting nerves kicking in- the ones that tell you this is going to be awesome or you're going to suck, one of the two.

Quoth Christian, "This is going to be awesome, shut up and get under it..."




You will notice that Christian stopped recording right as I was setting up for the celebratory air hump. That's okay, better coach than media manager.

Speaking of- if you are in the area and need a personal trainer, you might look the guy up, like maybe where I linked him above. For serious.

So that set wasn't too bad. Need to work more on getting down, but we know this. Working on some hip stretching and getting into position on off days, just need to keep it going and get them worked out more.

Apparently 36 year old office working hips don't like to get down. Who knew?

Working more on solidifying the squat hand placement and grip. Been playing a lot with wide overhand grip lately, ie hands entirely over and clamping the bar down instead of gripping the bar. Some of this is from the shoulder and tightness there, some of it is for stability and not carrying weight in my elbows- when I grip in and elbows down, I seem to support more weight in my hands than necessary. Oddly enough, a buddy on another forum posted this from ol' Mark Rippetoe a day or two previously:




Worked a bit on getting set as prescribed in the video as Rippetoe talks about in the video in on my sets as it seems to cater to my technique a little more, but I gotta say that isn't the easiest thing with that Mastodon bar. Might just take some getting used to, but I definitely prefer setting up on the Texas squat bar or a standard power bar over the Mastodon bar, definitely not used to the thickness of the Mastodon. Couldn't seem to get set correctly on any of my sets without the bar rolling a little on my back. Might try again later with more of a clamp/hands over grip.

And talk about knurling, holy shit snacks. Think I left a layer or two of wrist skin on the bar. Sorry, David.

Another fun thing- benched 5x170lbs, which I wasn't necessarily expecting after failing the 175lbs at third rep last week. Worked a bit more on some back tightness, can tell it's not there, but it seems to be getting better as well.  Also worked on tightness overall after reverting back to tucked feet position, and remembering leg drive. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Work, work, work. We get better everyday.

And just in case I need a reminder as to why...


Not pictured: One wedding ring...


Go forth and destroy.

No comments: