19 April 2014

Training Sesh 4/17/14: Mo sumo for the slow hip guy and sugar dreams



One of the most fun things about what is going on lately is that I am in that wonderful zone between low carb (and low calorie) and ketosis and refeeds. Not only is it giving me kind of a mental lethargy, but it is making my lifts crap as well.

As expected.

Add to that the fact that I have been tracking under 2000kcals/day the last four to five days, and things have been... slow.

BUT weight is dropping, so I guess that's good.

This training sesh was, as the last bench sesh, kinda crap. Negative progress from a numbers perspective, but at least I'm not hurt, right? At least not in the area of deathlifts. I just suck at them. I have also not had enough in them in the program to keep up the technique work, so this sesh has been a little bit like starting over when the heavy is concerned.

Good news? Well, I'm not dead and I'm not seriously injured, so the optimistic among us would say that I have more opportunity to get better.

And you know what? They're right. I got a good mobility program rolling the other day via the David (ouch but good) to work on getting the hips opened up and the back arching like it should, and I think I am going to start getting sets of sumo in as accessory on squat days.

Counts as posterior chain accessory, right?

As to this sesh, here is what occured:

  • Sumo deathlift, all with reset - 5x135lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x275lbs, 5x1x315lbs (complete walk away and reset), 2x365lbs (CWAAR), 10x1x315lbs (technique work), 2x5x225lbs
  • Lat pulldown w/FatGripz, paused, wide handle - 3x10x100lbs
  • Reverse hyper, heels together/toes out - 3x10x100lbs
So blaming carb/glycogen depletion aside, I just didn't have my technique down. Several attempts at 365lbs didn't come off the floor (though several did) and it wasn't until I busted back down to 315lbs that I remembered what I was really supposed to be doing.

Yes, I could get the feet out wider and upper back tighter, and no, I am not "dropping my balls to the bar". I'm freaking working on it, a'ight?

One of the better pulls from the evening, still needs a lot of work:




Going back and game taping it, I am wondering if I can't get my feet out a little more, and get set back a little more on taking the slack out of the bar. That and opening hips/balls down will take care of a lot. A lot of my earlier pulls had the bar pretty far out front so I know I wasn't pulling back and getting the leverage out of the ass and legs that I needed to- just about all back.




Yeah, yeah, Red. I forgot, okay? Little things like spreading the floor and driving the weight through the heels. Little things like everything. Needs work so I will do work.

In other news, weight has been dropping at about the rate of a pound a day through this CBL preparatory phase. Good for weight loss, bad for weight lifting.

I'm sorry, lifting weights. Thor knows I wouldn't want to offend the CrossFitters and Oly lifters by accidentally referring to powerlifting as weightlifting.

Went to the grocery the other day and picked up my coveted refeed food- a box of Cinnamon Life (tee em).

Sweet, sweet refeed.

The interesting thing, though, is that it may not be quite enough, at least not carb dense enough. Granted, I will be eating much more of it than the recommended serving, but the recommended serving on it only has about 25g of sugar.

Really, processed cereal? You have to fail me on sugar content?

Looks like ice cream and/or donuts will be added to the refeed menu.

Either that or I'll just have to eat the whole box of cereal. The box is reportedly 12 servings, which would yield 300g of sugar, glycogen replenishing carb goodness.




Can you tell I've been thinking about this?

Tonight is Wayne Static at Minglewood Hall with some of the gym bros. Reports of ticket sales have not been stellar, wonder how this will go.

Loud, I'm sure.

Until next time...

Go forth and destroy.

No comments: