14 April 2014

Training Sesh 4/13/14: GET DOWN, DAMNED SKWATZ, electroshock therapy, and goodbye to carbs for now



Back to squat day, eh, and not an awful day at all. Squatting felt pretty good, but when it all came down to the last working set, just didn't have it quite right.

For the love of Thor, I need to get 'em on down there. Being a hair high is marginally acceptable for general strength development (aside from that whole developing poor patterns of movement thing) but it really doesn't cut it for competition.

Blargh.

Here's what occurred:
  • Squat - 2x5xbar, 3x135lbs, 3x185lbs, 3x225lbs, 5x275lbs, 5x315lbs, 5x345lbs, 5x375lbs
  • Wide stance good morning - 3x10x135lbs
  • Standing cable crunch - 10x80lbs, 3x10x100lbs
  • Hip abductions- 3x20 w/EliteFTS Intense Onyx band

And the visual evidence of the shit show:




So yeah, high, and the last rep was crazy high but I knew I had to at least attempt the rep. Talking with ol Housetown about it (thanks for the spot, by the by), I think it is a combination of things, but mainly the effect being that I need to get my torso tighter and more upright. Looks like I may be getting the hips opened but not sitting back enough.

Yes, we can argue the need to and the degree to which one should sit back in a raw squat all day, but suffice it to say that it looks like I may need to get back a little more.

blargh.

Looks like I need to back the weight up a little bit and work on more technique. All is good, I have time. And with the upcoming carb depletion, I can almost bet that next squat session will not be as heavy. Time will tell, obviously, but it has always been my experience that training in that period between carb depletion and ketosis is a muddafucka.

Accessory work was fine, the needed stuffs. Going to continue to pound the hip abductions and my prescribed off day upper back work- trying to get my T spine arching a bit more for both my sumo deathlifts and for these hurr skqatz. I typically have the flexibility of a 2x4 anyway, and the upper back nerve issue has everything really jammed up. Trying to spend more time on foam rollers and lacrosse balls in the meantime, probably need to bust the TENS back out as well.

Think I have posted it up before, but this is the el cheapo unit I got from Amazon last year, complete with Engrish instructions.




Works well, though, simple to use, and was about $25 shipped, if I remember right. I fell in love with TENS during physical therapy last year and while this unit is obviously not as good as the one at the clinic, it'll do, pig.

Need to figure out how they do the hot pack at the clinic as well. The combination of the two will put you to sleep in about 14 seconds flat. Awesomeness.

I was also thinking the other day, and Housetown came to the same realization while we were lifting and conversating, if I can get my squat squared away and the CBL kicks in properly, I should be at a 5x405 squat soon, less than two months if progress continues in a linear pattern. That would be a calculated 470+ squat using the Wendler formula (weight x reps x .0333 + weight), which excites me in my no no place. Probably won't worry about actually testing my one rep max for a good while, like when I actually think about meet training, but that is getting back to where I need to be.

Speaking of CBL, the preparatory phase has begun. Costco (tee em) and grocery trip Friday/Saturday has yielded meats and eggs with some veggies. First day on the low carb train was today (Sunday). under 50g total carbs, 10g sugar, at about 2400 calories if we trust ol' MyFitnessPal (also tee em). It's obviously too early to tell the short term effects, but I will keep everyone updated. If for some reason anyone wants to see a food log, y'all chime in.

More updates as they come.




Go forth and destroy.

No comments: