12 April 2014

Training Sesh 4/10/14: evening bench rehab progress, gym bros and better behaved kids, and the unfattening



Per the last discussion on training schedules and a certain five year old's behavioral issues when daddy goes to the gym immediately after work, I decided to go ahead and adjust the weekday training sesh time for the next few and see how it goes. Instead of leaving work at the normal 5:30 - 6:00PM and heading straight to the gym, I left work at normal time and headed home for some hang out and dinner time, leaving the house for the jamsesnasium a little after 7:30PM. This put me getting at the gym a little after 8:00PM, getting the sesh in, and getting home around 10:30PM.

Not awful- get home in time to throw a little more food down my gullet and get to bed at a decent time, and the report was good for the small one's evening behavior. 

Even managed to get some dishes done. 

You know, because clean.

As to the sesh, here's what occurred:
  • Shoulder traction, warm up - about 15min
  • Bench - 10xbar, 5x95lbs, 5x135lbs, 5x155lbs, 5x175lbs, 5x185lbs
  • Tbar row, paused - 4x8x55lbs
  • OHP, strict - 3x8-10x95lbs with the last set being drop set - 8x95lbs, 8x65lbs, 6xbar
  • Band pull aparts - 3x20 w/ EliteFTS Intense Onyx band
  • Band punch downs a la Darden - 3x20/arm w/ EliteFTS Pro Light Band and Fat Grip
  • Single arm external rotations - 2x25 w/ EliteFTS Intense Onyx band

Pretty decent sesh overall. Made progress in the working set, but didn't push it too hard- probably had 190-195 for a set of five, but we'll leave the progress there and keep the train rolling. Plenty of accessory was to had, and even got a tip or two from David on a few things. 

Random observation - the late lifters seem to be solitary creatures, not a lot of team things going on. One or two pairs of guys, but for the most part individuals doing their own thing. I guess this is neither good nor bad in and of itself, per se, but it does make it kind of rough to get the feedback and peer coaching I am generally used to giving and getting with a normal sesh. Luckily, David was there and doing his thing so I could borrow him for my last set and share in some social interactions with one of my gym bros. Caught Austin and Scott for a sec as well, but they were pretty much wrapped up and gone by the time I started working.

Never underestimate the importance of gym bros. 

At any rate, here is my last working set:




Kind of odd, first time back on the competition bench in a while. I have been used to pressing in one of the racks with the safeties, adjustable EliteFTS bench, etc. Kind of odd getting back on the competition bench, but felt pretty good. Nice wide pad, better seat height, etc.

That all said, let me just take a second to thank EliteFTS for, among other things, making some of if not the best equipment in the industry, and David for having an awesome facility full of it. If, for some reason, I could not lift at NBS anymore I would be a sad old bear.


Sad, tragic ol' bear

And this song would constantly play in my heart whenever I stepped into an inferior rack, laid upon an inferior bench, etc


Sad, tragic ol' tune

But I digress.

Set up on the higher bench height felt good and I got my feet a little further in front than previous sesh. It did take a while to readjust- you can see me working my feet into position in the video- but I was able to get into a better position to drive my heels down through the press. Similarly to last sesh, I think my ass came up on the last rep of that set but the bulk of it, especially the first three reps before the pause for breath, were good.

And again, continued progress.

And progress is good.

Still about 40-50lbs off of where I was before the injury, but it is getting there.

Worked through the accessory work and added in the tricep finisher, the excellent little diddy as seen from our man Clint Darden, the tricep punchdown:




but with the added FatGripz handle.

Yay.

Good work and got a little homework from David as to a few improvements to work on.

And, as mentioned, a much better progress report from home.




As opposed to the news from home the other night




Wins all around.

And soon, negative belly gains. This weekend I shall embark on a Costco and Kroger trip and some dedicated meal planning for the upcoming Carb Backloadingness. Ten days of low carb heckfar and hopefully not too diminished gains coming up.

But then...

Good ol' fat shed and recomp and Cinnamon Life (tee em). Good times.

The trick through this whole thing is going to be keeping the calorie count up while not spending $100 a day on steak. Fatty meats, a bunch of green veggies, eggs, little dairy, maybe even some coconut oil.

About time to use that jar up that I have had in the pantry for a few months.

Eat meat. Listen to metal.




Go forth and destroy.

No comments: