19 February 2014

Training sesh 2/18/14: In which we work on front squat technique and continue to improve



Decent little training sesh in the books last night, though I was a big meanie and didn't get any video. I even commented to my training partner about two sets out, asking if he could get video for me. Grr. This actually hurts me more than you, as I find it useful to see at least my last working sets and try to glean what I can from them as to technique fixes, observation of consistency, etc.

At any rate, here is what occurred:

  • Front squat - 2x5xbar, 5x95lbs, 5x135lbs, 5x165lbs, 5x195lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x245lbs
  • Deathlift - 5x135lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x275lbs, 5x315lbs, 5x355lbs
  • OHP, barbell, strict - 5xbar, 5x95lbs, 5x115lbs, 5x125lbs
  • Fat bar lat pulldown, slow w/3sec holds at bottom - 3x8x100lbs

So while this wasn't the training sesh in which we hang out with a bunch of gym bros and talk about weiners (though that didn't happen a little), twas a very informative gym sesh in which I got to fix a thing or two(ish) and check other technique. It also illustrated the usefulness of training with different folks that don't necessarily do what everyone else is doing.

Because I love being at work more than anything else, I got into the jamesnasium a little late, about 6:00PM, which is really about prime time for attendance. Though it was a Tuesday, there was a boot camp going on, group or two of powerlifters, and some client training going on, amongst other things. Racks being in high demand, I worked in with my buddy Scott, who just so happened to be front squatting as well.

Scott is a powerlifter, and does do the occasional meet, but to my knowledge does his own programming or gets it from outside of the gym. He's got some training under his belt and has been through similar injury as what I have going on with my shoulder. Coming from a little different perspective he has a different insight as to technique and all, so when I told him about some of my front squat issues, he had a little insight to add.




Amongst other things, one of the most bothersome aspects of my front squat currently is the fact that I seem to be carrying a lot of the weight in my hands/fingers instead of the deltoids, which causes a lot of strain on the wrists and elbows. The most obvious fix here is to keep the elbows up, which helps drive the chest up and keep the bar from rolling forward into the hand. HOWEVER, one of the other suggestions that Scott had to aid in this pursuit was to change my hand position and unrack slightly- previously, I had been in a fairly standard unrack position with my index and middle fingers under the bar, about an inch or so off the smooth. While this was okay, we changed my hand position so that I used my middle three fingers and centered them in the knurling, taking the ring finger out after the unrack. This seemed to work pretty well for alignment and I was able to still keep my elbows pretty well forward using this, even with my wrists wrapped.

This change, coupled with a little more mobility so that I could get the bar more in front of my clavicles and a little stronger back seemed to make my 5x245 this week better than my 5x235 last week- more reason why I wish had gotten a freaking video. Also getting over that fight or flight response kicking in- when 200+ pounds rolls into your adam's apple and wants to crush your windpipe, you get antsy BUT if you're front squatting, you get over that shizzle, reset your head so you can take a quick breath or two, and carry on.

Next we deathlift.

This one's for Austin. No singing in this one, eh...




Deadlifts weren't horrible, not great. Hit goal set of 5x355lbs, but the last few reps were freaking ugly- rounded upper back and all. Part of this was fatigue, part of it is relearning proper patterning. According to Scott, seems like I am rounding my back and not driving hips through at the right time. Rounded back equals loss of power transfer, not driving the hips through makes the deadlift a low back exercise and not optimal recruitment of all motors. I worked on this a bit on the early sets- flattening the back and pulling back as soon as the bar touches the shins, driving through the heels and pushing through the glutes when the bar is crossing the knee.

I know what I NEED to do, just need to reinforce it until it is second nature. Like the saying goes- amateurs practice until they get it right, pros practice until they can't get it wrong.

Additionally, I need to lose some gut- the extra man jiggles in front is partially preventing me from getting into proper position on the deathlift right out of the gate, and I feel like it is hindering my squat as well. There is one thing for size and girth for leverage, another entirely when it's useless.

It's the useful that must be increased, the useless that must be decreased.

Overhead press was decent, not awesome. I was just commenting to David how I felt like my upper body lifts were stalling and needed more accessory work when I go ahead and increase my press another five pounds. Again, not the most beautiful- there was definitely some English in the press in the form of some bounce reflex out of the hole, but still got them up and locked them out.

The left side is definitely not driving like it should, more work to be done there. Concensus (and I concur) is to add some high rep dumbbell pressing, so that will be coming up. For my rowing movements, I started adding holds at the full contraction to help optimize lat strength. Also need to add my external rotations back in and more than likely keep up with the flyes for chest work. Band work on "off" days should suffice there for now.

Didn't get my posterior chain work in before I had to take off for home, looks like some banded good mornings are in my future this evening.




That and a whole lotta roast beast. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm hmm.

Go forth and destroy.


No comments: