11 February 2014

Training Sesh 2/10/14 - more skwatz, more surprise, more belly... more work. Respect.




Pretty decent evening at the ol' jamesnasium tonight. Little bit of a full house but alles gut- waited a few minutes for a rack to open and spotted some fellers on the powerlifting team through some ME squats.

For myself, as you know, it is all ME. 

Sets of five. 

Eh.




For myself, here is what occurred:

  • Squat - 5xbar, 5x95lbs, 5x135lbs, 5x185lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x275lbs
  • Bench - 5xbar, 5x95lbs, 5x135lbs, 5x155lbs, 3x175lbs (fail @ 4th rep), 5x165lbs 
  • Wide stance good mornings w/ gen 1 EliteFTS SS Yoke bar  - 10xbar, 3x10x132lbs
  • TBar rows - 10x45lbs, 3x8x70lbs
  • Standing cable crunch - 3x12x130lbs

I don't want to jinx myself, but after so many weeks of my squat feeling all jacked up, this didn't feel awful. Felt like I had a little more in the tank, looking back on it now, so I will have to push it more Friday, and as usual, need to work on getting the hips opened up and sitting back a little better. Bar path looked good for the early part of the set, but you can tell where I started leaning forward mid set and on.

Work, work, work.

I am surprised, though, at the bench numbers. Look to be coming up nicely, despite the time off of training. Last night I played with tucking my feet, as was my old style, and it seemed to work pretty well in the Romaleos. Upper back felt surprisingly decent, even on the injured side.

Only worry I have with the "program" as prescribed is the lack of upper body accessory work, with a view mainly to my rehab. Will just have to add supplementary movements and band work on days off or after the main program.

Here's my squat set of five at 275 - good, high, high, good, high. Also need to pop my hips in more at lock out. Work done, more work to be done..




Porter was good enough to film the set, and spot my later bench sets along with a set spotted by ol' Johnny Haterman, I mean Adelman.

Johnny refuses to buy a pair of white Romaleos so that we, along with Jordan (Media Manager, Hanselopolis, Inc. LLC) can be Team Squat Shoe America, but whatever. We can't all aspire to greatness, I guess.


Me in the red...


Haterman proposed in the white...

and Jordan already has the blue. Murrica.

At any rate, Porter and I talked about bench form for a bit and merits of feet tucked versus out front- sounds like we have both been independently working back to tucking recently. Shoes play a role in that it, it seems, I know I could NOT get the Romaleos to get grip out front on the mats we have under the power racks at the jamesnasium unless I really kicked the heels out- and half the time I think I was just catching on the inside of the rack uprights. Feet tucked also seem to take some of the strain off the hips, though it seemed to immediately transfer to the lower back. If I chose to stay tucked, need to work on getting everything locked back down well and get the hips stationary. Leg drive felt good, ass stayed down pretty well on all except the failed 175.

That number started with a one. Ugh. Shoulda been a two had I not gotten injured.

C'est la vie. I work.

And really, it was a pretty decent night all around at the gym. PRs were everywhere.

Porter got a squat PR, 410:



Buddy, Jon (fuck Nickelback), hit a 605 deathlift- video on his FB page if you're lucky enough to be friends with the man.

David (Yoda, gym owner) got his first 825 in a suit, amongst his other bidness even if he didn't PR in beardness:



Some other fun occurred, not sure if they were PRs or not, but Brian Mac hit a 610 squat and Housetown hit a 700 geared squat.

Also, Jordan almost removed different John's nipple for having a soda.

That all said, I am glad I train at NBS. The atmosphere is awesome, the equipment is top notch, the trainers are excellent, and most importantly, the people make it. While I would love it to be larger (who doesn't want more power racks?), by and large the folks that pay their dues and show up day in and day out are what make it the best gym in town. A lot of newcomers are intimidated by a powerlifting-centric gym, but really, you couldn't ask for a better group of people. The drive, the enthusiasm, the support, the sheer amount of give a shit.




I was reminded of all this, yet again, last night as Clint Darden has this to say on the matter:




Take nothing for granted, don't squander good resources.

Support each other.

Go forth and destroy.

No comments: