04 May 2014

Training Sesh 5/4: Skay watts, deathlifts, and bye bye, backloading



Ah, Sunday. Sunday funday.

This particular Sunday was time to squat. The little lady and the wife lady headed to the zoo to meet some friends and their kids and under the influence of the baby childrens, decided to stay for quite some time.

Sunday being funday, this equaled a little more play time at the jamesnasium.

Here is what occurred:
  • Stretch, dynamic warm up, etc about 10min
  • Squat - 5x145lbs, 5x195lbs, 5x245lbs, 5x295lbs, 5x335lbs
  • Sumo deathlift - 5x140lbs, 10x1x250lbs, 5x250lbs, 5x280lbs 
  • Band hip abductions - 3x20 w/doubled over EliteFTS Modest Onyx band
  • Lat pulldown, wide handle, paused - 3x10x100lbs
  • Cable crunches - 3x10x120lbs

As mentioned previously, I have backed my weight down on squats to work on back and parallel, this being the second sesh of such work. With that being said, I am squatting a little slower to concentrate on pushing back a bit better, etc.

I even got several videos

  • 5x145lbs




  • 5x245lbs (didn't get the set at 195lbs)




  • 5x295lbs




  • 5x335lbs (sexy time)




All in all pretty decent. They were all right at or below, I think. Even that set at 335, which I have to admit felt like deuce and I got out of position on a few reps, hence the good morning effect, didn't look nearly as bad as it felt.

Mission accomplished, it was off to deathlifts.

Quick set at 140lbs (heavy collars) to warm up and remember positioning and cues, then off to some technique singles at 250lbs. Hips felt like shit at first from squatting and random tightness, but I had Porter try to pop my hips (to no avail, but it helped) and eventually they worked back out.  The singles eventually felt decent enough that I went ahead at a set of five, went up to 280lbs and ran another set of five. They felt fast enough that I probably should have gone up some more, but I honestly didn't have "max effort" in mind. Will pull more next time.

One of the technique pulls at 250lbs:



Again, not awful, but it could be better. Looking back, wish I would have gotten some video of the sets of five, as I think I was able to lock my upper back in a little bit better than the above. Not sure of the arch and all, obviously, but felt decently fast off the ground, etc.

More pulls, more video, more work. Continuing work on the upper back and the hips.

But one thing I am not continuing is the ol' Carb Backloading. Good ol' blood pressure spike the other day got me a bit edgy, and I honestly think I will lift better with a little more constant flow of carbs throughout the regular day instead of spiking them directly after.

Not saying it doesn't work as a diet, I just don't think it is right for me right now.

I just have to watch the calories.




Go forth and destroy.

A salad with extra chicken.

No comments: