01 November 2013

Portland, part 2 - getting high, getting fat, not going to jail...

Behold the second installment in my two part series on my journey to a strange and distant land, Portlandia of Oregonshire!

The first installment in my two part series on my journey to a strange and distant land, Portlandia of Oregonshire, can be found here.

The second installment in my two part series on my journey to a strange and distant land, Portlandia of Oregonshire, can be found here.

Without further ado...

SATURDAY

Another morning in Oregon, another pleasant earlyish waking. I seemed to wake up at 7:00 - 7:30AM by myself, pleasantly and with little grogginess, etc. I found myself more refreshed upon waking than I normally do back in Memphis with the same amount of sleep.

What could it all mean?

After morning rituals, several cups of coffee, and a baby feeding and nap or two, we packed up and headed out to the Portland Aerial Tram.




It's spelled, "portland aerial tram"

It was a short, slightly precarious trip to the top of the "hill", surrounded on most sides by gorgeous Oregon fall scenery. A few minutes of dangling from a wire hundreds of feet in the air in a metal and plexiglass bubble never hurt anyone.

I had no idea the names that mankind had given to what I saw from up there, but it was lovely.





Gotcha.






Again, not having what one would normally refer to as "seasons" in Memphis, these were cool sights to behold. 

Having seen what we could see, we packed back up and decided to go grab lunch. 

Luckily, just the day before Lyndsay and I were talking to our good friend, chef, restaurateur, and Super Saiyan hair and convertible owner, Guy Fieri, about foodie places in Portland. Or more accurately, I've never met Guy Fieri and the TV was on and we happened to catch a segment of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on Portland and witnessed the heralding of a little shop called Bunk Sandwiches. They're basically a "high end" or foodie kind of sandwich shop, locally owned by a couple of experienced chefs and they make awesome, handmade sammiches for your masticating pleasure. 

They have two shops in Portlandia, we went to the one on SE Morrison. 


Click to zoom in on that lovely menu board.


More of the shop, and Brian. Not a huge place at all.


Our spread

Gaze upon my meat. y sandwich. 

Pretty flipping good sammiches. Lyndsay and Brian both got the pulled pork sandwiches, one of the kids got the grilled cheese, I got the roast beef sandwich. I will admit that we, especially I took it a bit safe on the menu selection, but they were damn good sandwiches. The roast beef came with sharp cheddar, caramelized onions, horsey sauce, and dijon mustard on a poppy seed roll. Flipping awesome. Pretty sure everything was either house made (and well made, at that) or locally sourced, all proportions in balance, all done right. The potato salad was awesome, mustard potato salad with bacon and egg, and accompanied with a (no shit) Mexican Coke. I tried some of Lyndsay's pulled pork and being from Memphis (we are the kings of pulled pork, and we will let you know), I didn't fall in love with it, but it was definitely good- applewood smoked, maybe? The boy didn't want all of his grilled cheese, so I stole some of that, too- vurry tasty with the Tillamook cheese. Could have used a bit more char, in my opinion.

Maybe should have been more adventurous and gotten the pork belly Cubano, but it was a damn near a perfect lunch.

And here's a box cutter. 

The mean streets... er... sidewalks... of Portland.

So from there we went to the only scheduled stop of the whole weekend. Well, maybe not scheduled, but the only thing I knew I wanted to do. 

Besides throw rocks at hippies, but society apparently frowns on that. 



Stay tuned for the spine tingling conclusion of...

No comments: