02 June 2014

Training Sesh 5/30: Getting on track, metal playlists, protein, and new Godlfesh




Alrighty, so I got my shizzle (mah nizzle) together together and got my programming straightened out for this sesh. Like I said, I won't lay it all out for you- go buy the damn book- but I think I have it together now.

Here's what occurred:

  • Warm up, stretch - appx 10min
  • Squat - 2x5xbar (Texas Squat Bar), 5x145lbs, 5x235lbs, 5x285lbs, 7x315lbs
  • Lat pulldown, wide fat handle - 3x10x110lbs
  • Leg press, wide/low - 3x10x405lbs
  • Good mornings, EliteFTS SSB to pins - 3x10x132lbs (bar + 50lbs)
  • Cable crunch - 3x10x120lbs

Decided to push the last working set on this one for a few extra reps, back started getting fatigued so I shut it down at seven. Need to keep working on the ol' back as I know I should have been good for another rep or two in that set.




No worries, more back work to do, more work to do in general.

That's why we call it training.

And don't cry, I'll get video next time. Sorry, pookies.

I did try to cycle the work a little faster this go round so as to try to decrease my session time, eventually (sooner than later) I need to work conditioning in. Ten or fifteen minutes of HIIT should be doable.




And in the ongoing music skirmishing about the gym, David (owner of the gym) put on a playlist while we all trained for the night, the game being that with every new song David would check if I liked the songs or not.

David contends that I only listen to death metal, I contend that Nickelback and Trivium are crap.




While I must say that not all the songs were crap (there was some Crowbar and Lamb of God in there), many songs did get the thumbs down from yours truly. It was hard for me to tell if one of the songs was Trivium or Avenged Sevenfold, but then I realized that there wasn't an overabundance of noodly solos, so it had to be... well, it was Trivium.

Sigh.

It's okay, he's young. He's learning. He just better be glad he's strong(er) and bearded.

Randomly, this has been on TV a bit lately and I caught this pic/link on the sidebar of the book face or myfitnesspal, one of the two. The add campaign is kinda brilliant, even if the product is a bit lackluster and more expensive than a scoop of ON gold standard whey...




A lot of companies jumping the protein band wagon, which is awesome, but I think they come from a bit of a sheltered or siloed perspective and trying to push their already existing product, or a very slightly changed version of it, for lackluster results. They are trying to fit into the new(ish) "fad" of high protein diets, but they aren't taking into account that they're really selling is just a

Lunchable

(tee em)

and subbing the crackers for a small handful of almonds.

Taco Bell seemed to be on the right track if they would ever actually release their "Power Protein" menu items to the general public. Or they may have. It's Taco Bell. I try not to keep up with them too much.




I'd pay five bucks for a burrito. Not so much for a Lunchable (tee em).

And at last, we have a new track from Godflesh.


Fucking Godflesh, god damn it.

It has been 13 years since we last got new material from one of the original propagators of lovely electronic nihilistic doom and gloom but at last, we have been graced with new material.

This track popped up on soundcloud last week (?). Behold, and cower in your own insignificance.





If you are really into it, Godflesh released their new EP, Decline and Fall, this morning on bandcamp.com. I don't want to sound biased or anything, but I listened to it on the way into work and it's freaking brilliant. For a comparative basis, it seems to fall somewhere in between Us and Them and Pure, then dialed up a bit. The years have been good to Godflesh, and one of my chief complaints of early Godflesh - production quality - has been rectified in spades, with more consistent low end. Makes me wish for a bigger sounds system with subs in the ol' Crosstrek. The title track crushes all.

Do it. DO IT.

Go forth and destroy.

No comments: